In my opinion, math history should be incorporated into my own math teaching because it can give more context to why a proof or theorem exists by exploring what problem the mathematician was trying to solve given their background knowledge. It could be incorporated by using the mathematician’s background history as an anecdotal introduction to the lesson or main concept. It can also be incorporated in textbooks as a side blurb or fun fact to add more context to the information presented to better the understanding of the reader.
The first thing that I question is how under the affective predisposition towards mathematics section it states that “mathematics is an evolving and human subject rather than a system of rigid truths” because I believe that historical context of mathematicians could provide a better understanding as to why concepts were developed but, mathematics is primarily based on rigid truths to ensure that a proof or theorem is true in order for it to be useful in solving problems. The second thing that I agree with is that under the same section, “Not getting discouraged by failure, mistakes, uncertainties or misunderstandings…. Have been the building blocks of the work” because I can resonate with that in my own attempts to solve math problems; I am constantly faced with making errors and learning from them in order to deepen my understanding of the subject. The last thing that I disagree with is that “History may be tortuous and confusing rather than enlightening” because if the historical context provided is confusing and tortuous, then I believe that the information provided is ineffective or out of scope of the subject being taught.
My ideas have been further developed on the many ways that the history of mathematics can be taught in a classroom from when it is appropriate to assign a presentation or individual worksheet work. I have also developed a more humanized perspective on mathematics after reading this article, as it emphasizes that mathematics is developed through learning from errors of oneself and others.
No comments:
Post a Comment