Saturday, 23 October 2021

Blog Post #12: Dancing Euclidean proofs

 Two things that surprised me or made me want to stop and think about the article:

1) I found it interesting that the "exploration of multiple representations and modes of cognition has been shown to enhance and deepen mathematical understanding building more holistic mathematical understanding through a knowledge of the equivalence of varied modes of representation." When I learned math, I mainly did practice problems to deepen my understanding and never really thought about physical activities as another mode of cognitive learning for this subject.

2) I also found it intriguing that there is a need to "spark an appreciation of the beauty of mathematics". I have always viewed math as a tool that was used to solve problems as I never interpreted it as an art form. To see that mathematics has beauty in it because it has an artistic interpretation is really eye-opening. 

How might this kind of activity be helpful for math learning and understanding math history in a high school mathematics class? What kinds of constraints or obstacles might you encounter?

This kind of activity could be helpful for math learning and understanding math history in a high school mathematics class especially when learning about geometry units. This is because it can be a little bit difficult to visualize how angles are proportional to each other on paper and a physical interpretation could be easier to grasp. Constraints could be picking examples that are simple enough to embody and space to do physical interpretations with the whole class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment